Part Time Thrift Shop Assistant (Helotes)
Job Title: Second Chances Thrift Shop Assistant
Organization: Helotes Humane Society, a non-profit organization
Work Hours: Part-time hours include Wednesday (4 Hours Flexible), Thursday and Friday 10:30 am — 3:30 pm, Saturday 12 pm — 6 pm
Compensation: $8 per hour / 20 hours per week
Work Environment: Potential for exposure to zoonotic diseases, exposure to high noise levels, and potential for bites while occasionally handling animals.
Physical Requirements: Ability to drive a vehicle. Willingness to work weekends, holidays, and off-hours, on occasion. Willingness to be exposed to animal noises, chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles, or equipment and other physical situations that involve all forms of animal life. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and work in varied temperatures.
Reports to: Thrift Store Manager
Under the direction of the Second Chances Thrift Shop Manager, the Assistant is responsible for helping with all thrift store operations. Hershel will be engaged in cashiering when needed, arrange items for sale to be posted on social media such as Facebook and Craigslist and participate in the work performed by volunteers in the thrift store and warehouse, ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures. Rotate, price and restock store merchandise to ensure quick turnover. The position requires a high degree of self-initiative, self-monitoring, organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task. The job applicant must be able to maintain a good working relationship with the Thrift Store Manager, HHS Executive Director and board members, as well as Helotes Humane Society members, thrift store volunteers, donors, and the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The thrift store assistant’s essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. The thrift store assistant assists in:
- Inventory Control
- Sorting and Pricing
- Actively engages customers on sales floor to increase donations and merchandise sales
- Provides excellent customer service by greeting and assisting customers and donors and responding to customer inquiries/complaints
- Promotes repeat business and word-of-mouth advertising through building of excellent customer relations
- Assists in overseeing acceptance of donations and assists in the occasional pick-up of donated items
- Ensures physical maintenance, cleanliness, and attractiveness of store and displays
Required Education and Experience:
The Thrift Store Assistant must have a high school diploma or GED. The position requires two years of progressively responsible experience in a retail store environment. Must have knowledge of the principles and practices of a retail store and the principles and practices of effective customer relations.
Qualifications and Professional Characteristics:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
- Retail Experience
- Must have strong skills in customer service, organization, interpersonal relations, time management and communication
- Ability to work on own initiative and meet deadlines and the ability to multi-task in an environment, where time is fragmented and interruptions are frequent
- Have a compassion for companion animals
- Knowledge of animal welfare principles, methods, and resources, as well as commitment to the mission and objectives of the Helotes Humane Society
- Must be able to be an effective team member and handle project leadership responsibility
- Must have working knowledge of posting on Social Media
- Have a valid driver’s license and be a legal citizen of the United States
- Pass background check
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- DO NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers